Current & Upcoming
- “Open 23,” DeYoung Museum, San Francisco, Sept 30, 2023 – Jan 7, 2024 | Alice joined other artists on KQED Radio
- “Women’s Voices, Women’s Votes, Women’s Rights,” Clinton Presidential Center, Little Rock, AR, until April 30, 2023, featuring “Where and When I Enter”
- SAQA Oregon Regional Conference, Keynote Speaker, Oct 5, 2023
- “Common Thread,” Dowd Gallery, Santa Clara University, Nov 13, 2023 – Feb 2, 2024
National and International Tours and Exhibitions
- Deadlocked and Loaded: Disarming America, Community Folk Art Center, Syracuse University, Feb 1 – April 18.
- “In My Wake” appeared at Visions Art Museum in San Diego, as part of the exhibition “Shifting Tides”. Jan 16 – April 2, 2021. The exhibition then traveled around the United States.
- “From Russia with Love,” moved to St. George Museum of Art, St. George, UT.
- “In My Wake” had its initial opening at Works/San José, San Jose, CA as part of the exhibition “Shifting Tides”.
- “From Russia with Love,” inspired by the chaos in Washington, D.C., opened at Visions Art Museum in San Diego, and then traveled to Arizona and Utah as part of a group exhibition of “Things That Matter”.
- “Feeding Time at the Swamp” traveled extensively in a group show entitled “Threads of Resistance”.
- “Blood Line” shown at the Textile Museum, Washington, D.C.
- “A Meditation on Time” was exhibited at the United States’ Croatian Embassy in Zagreb as part of the State Department’s Art in Embassies program.
- Alice’s fiber composition “No Hard Hats Required” was selected for a Juror’s Choice Award in the national juried exhibition “Consequences” at the Arc Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- “I’m a Frayed Knot” at Orange Coast College Frank M. Doyle Arts Pavilion in Costa Mesa, CA. Invitational exhibition.
- “Faces of Color” exhibition at Bethune Cookman University, Daytona Beach, FL, Invitational exhibit.
- “I Am America: Black Genealogy Through the Eye of an Artist” invitational exhibit at the San Francisco Main Public Library. Read more about the exhibit.
- Alice’s quilt “Entre Nous,” was juried into the prestigious exhibition of contemporary quilting, Quilt National 2011. The Dairy Barn Arts Center, Athens, OH.
- “500 Art Quilts” Exhibit at Houston International Quilt Festival
- “Journey of Hope in America: Quilts Inspired by President Barack Obama” at the National Afro-American Museum and Cultural Center in Wilberforce, Ohio.
- Two works (“Roots” and “Love in Bloom”) were on display in the residence of the United States Ambassador to Namibia as part of the ART in Embassies Program.
- “Textural Rhythms: Constructing the Jazz Tradition”, invitational exhibit, toured nationally. Sixty-four quilts (including Alice’s “Miles Ahead”) presented by the Women of Color Quilters Network displaying the interplay between jazz and art. Venues included the Smithsonian Anacostia Museum, American Folk Art Museum, the New York State Museum and the Rutgers University Art Museum.
- “Changing the World One Thread at a Time”, Val d’Argent Expo, Ste. Marie aux Mines, Haut-Rhin, France, invitational exhibit.
- “El Arte de Coser Arte” (The Art of Sewing Art), invitational exhibit at the Museum of the Americas, Madrid, Spain.
- “Women of Taste: A Collaboration Celebrating Quilt Artists and Chefs” — traveled throughout the United States under the auspices of the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service.
- “Sewing Comfort Out of Grief: The Oklahoma City Children’s Memorial Art Quilts” —Alice was one of twenty quilters invited nationwide to exhibit a quilt dedicated to the children who died in the Oklahoma City bombing. Sponsored by the Helias Foundation for Art and Human Rights.
- “Open 23,” DeYoung Museum, San Francisco, Sept 30, 2023 – Jan 7, 2024
- “Common Threads,” Dowd Gallery, Santa Clara University, Nov 13, 2023 – Feb 2, 2024
- “Floating in the Heat of the Moon” was included in the De Young Museum Open, and later acquired by the museum for its permanent collection. | Background | Watch: The Art of Textiles: an Interview with Alice Beasley and other Bay area artists.
- “To Hear and Be Heard,” Santa Clara University, virtual art exhibit, October
- Nu Group, Alice’s six woman art critique group has, its first joint show, “Momentary and Timeless” at the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles.
- “American Landscape” First Presbyterian Church, Alameda, CA
- Joyce Gordon Gallery
- World Bank Headquarters, Washington, D.C. “Confronting History: Contemporary Fabrics and the African American Experience”
- “Fibre Theatricks” at the Harrington Gallery, Firehouse Arts Center, Pleasanton, CA.
- Alice’s portrait of Congresswoman Barbara Lee was on display at the Robert Mann Gallery, New York City.
- Carnegie Arts Center, Turlock, CA
- Artists’ Annual Exhibition, Kala Gallery, Berkeley, CA
- “Guns: Loaded Conversations”, San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles, San Jose, CA, April 20 – July 15, 2018.
- “Thread Heads: New Bay Area Fiber Art”, Berkeley Art Center, Berkeley, CA
- “Feeding Time at the Swamp” opened at the New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA. It will be traveling the United States throughout 2018 as part of the exhibition “Threads of Resistance”.
- “Dynamic Diversity: Quilts by African-American Artists”, Texas Quilt Museum, LaGrange, TX.
- “theNeuwPolitic: Artists Explore” Petaluma Arts Center, Petaluma, CA. Alice’s piece, “No Vote, No Voice” was awarded 1st Place.
- “Boldly Stitched: Contemporary Art Quilts”, Lawrence Arts Center, Lawrence, KS.
- “Never, Ever Forget”, Brickhouse Gallery, Sacramento, CA, Alice was the featured artist at this event.
- “Tangled: Fiber Art Now,” Taubman Art Museum, Roanoke, VA.
- “Soul Searching,” Harrington Art Gallery, Pleasanton, CA
- “Freeze Frame,” Visions Art Museum
- “Stitches,” Mercyhurst University, Erie PA
- “Expressions in Equality,” Visions Art Museum, San Diego, CA
- “The Fabric of Our Culture,” Joyce Gordon Gallery, Oakland, CA. Alice was invited to exhibit six of her works.
- “Quilt & Fiber Arts Festival,” LaConner Quilt & Textile Museum, LaConner, WA.
- OMNIS International Exhibition, Minan Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- “Tasty Too: Food Inspired Quilts,” San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles. Alice was invited to include her quilt “Bette’s Diner”.
- “Painting in Fabric”, Hanford St. Gallery, Sutter, CA.
- “Innovations in Fiber Art VI”, Sebastopol Center for the Arts, Sebastopol, CA
- Alice was invited to exhibit “Tuesday in the Park with George” and “The Basket Maker” at the Pi Gallery in Kansas City, MO, as part of “BREAK: Rhythmized Textiles from the African Diaspora”.
- “Folks in Fiber” Cahoon Museum of American Art, Cotuit, MA., invitational exhibit.
- “Fiber Arts 2001” Gallery 510 Arts Guild, Ltd., 510 W. Decatur St., Decatur, Ill.. Recipient of the Juror’s Choice Award, the Nova Gallery Award of Excellence and the People’s Choice Award. Juried exhibit.
- “A Communion of the Spirits: African-American Quilters, Preservers and their Stories”; Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County. Invitational exhibit.
- The Shorenstein Company, 45 Fremont St., San Francisco, CA Invitational exhibit.
- Alice was invited to participate in “Fabrications: Quilts for the Next Century”; Plaza East Bay Municipal Utility District headquarters, group show.
- “Go Figure”; San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles. Alice’s quilt, “The Three Graces” was exhibited.
- “Daughters of Harriet Powers” Museum of African American Art, Tampa, FL, and the Octagon Arts Center, Clearwater, FL.
- Gallery, Bank of America World Headquarters, San Francisco, CA. Invitational exhibit.
- “Alice Beasley: A Retrospective”, Feb. 9-March 9. Los Medanos College, 2700 E. Leland Road, Pittsburg, CA
- Alice Beasley — a Retrospective, California Heritage Museum, March 11 – June 12
- 650 California Street
- “Undercurrents”, Bay Quilts, Richmond, CA
- “Conversations in Fiber”, Craneway Pavilion, Richmond, CA
- Loss: Public/Private, Joyce Gordon Gallery, Oakland, CA.
- Exhibition of 25 of Alice’s works on display at International Quilt Week Yokohama, Japan
- “Tactile Maneuvers,” a retrospective of twenty of Alice’s works on display at Stanford Art Spaces, Stanford University
- “Portrait Quilts: Artist’s Exhibit, The Shorenstein Building, 45 Fremont St., San Francisco, CA,. • Thirteen Moons Gallery, Santa Fe, NM, • AirTouch Corporate Gallery, San Francisco, CA.
- Memories, Dreams & Reflections”, New Pieces Gallery, Berkeley CA.
- New Exhibit Takes Aim at Gun Culture and Its Pathologies,
by Eleanor J. Bader, The Independent, March 24, 2021
- Featured Artist of the Month, December 2020, Berkeley Art Center
“Currents”, San Francisco Magazine, April 2018
New York Times, “A Sense of Place, Stitched” February 3, 2016
- Quilter’s Newsletter, April/May 2014, No. 439, p. 18. “Bette’s Diner” quilt shown.
- YouTube Video: “Alice Beasley: County of Alameda’s Acute Tower Replacement Project Public Art Program.”
- Art Quilt Portfolio: People & Portraits, edited by Martha Sielman, published by Lark Crafts.
- Alice is featured in Patchwork Tsushin, No. 166. Pp. 99-100.
- Masters: Art Quilts, Vol. II published by Lark Books.
- “Mastering the Art Quilt” by Martha Seilman, Fiberarts Magazine, p.46 Summer
- Homage to African-American Artists, limited edition desk diary produced by the United States Department of State for use as the official gift of U.S. Ambassadors and other American Embassy diplomats. (“Love in Bloom” and “Roots” featured).
- Journey of Hope in America: Quilts Inspired by President Barack Obama, published by Voyageur Press.
- Two of Alice’s quilts (“The Basket Maker” and “Global Warning“) are included in 500 Art Quilts, published by Lark Books.
- “Miles Ahead” is shown in the August/September issue of Quilting Arts Magazine.
- Alice was featured on “Simply Quilts” on House and Garden television network. Show #824.
- Alice was featured in an article in the California Daily Journal, “East Bay Attorney/Quilter Finds Peace in Piecing”.
- “Behind the Barricade” is shown in Issue No. 8 of Art Quilt Magazine, as well as in Quilt Display Remembers Victims in the Oklahoman, as well as in The Oklahoman, “Quilt Display Remembers Victims”. Click image to enlarge.
- “Bette’s Diner” is included in Women of Taste: A Collaboration Celebrating Quilt Artists and Chefs published by C&T Publishing,
- Alice’s quilt “III Boyz” appears in Fiberarts Design Book Six.
Public and Private Collections
- Acres of Ancestry Initiative
- The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco (DeYoung Museum)
- The United States Embassy in Chad
- City and County of San Francisco
- Former Ambassador Dennise Mathieu
- Hon. Barbara Lee, United States Representative
- Joram and Lona Piatigorsky, Washington, DC
- Highland Hospital Acute Care Center, Oakland, CA
- Kaiser Hospital, Oakland CA
- County of Santa Clara, Sunnyvale Health Facility
- Alameda County, CA
- The San Francisco Foundation
- Mimi Johnson Jacobs, Oakland, CA
- Miriam Hochwald, St. Louis, MO
- Gaylord Neely, Washington, DC
- Ray Cyphers, Lake Oswego, OR
- DHR Investments, Berkeley, CA
- Joseph & Geraldine Walsh, Lagunitas, CA.
“No One Succeeds Alone” was commissioned by Paypal for the 2023 Maggie Lena Walker Award.
Secretary Clinton and Alice Beasley at the opening of the exhibition “Women’s Voices, Women’s Votes, Women’s Rights.”
The the California Heritage Museum featured works from 30 years of Alice’s artwork in March 2022.